What happens when a young, naive bride meets the Egyptian belly dancers and their enigmatic manager at the 1893 Chicago World’s Fair? It changes everything.
Young bride Dora Chambers can’t wait to begin her new life in Chicago. It’s an exciting time, with the 1893 World’s Fair putting a kaleidoscope of new inventions, new cultures, and new ideas on display.
Unfortunately, those aren’t the only things on display.
The Egyptian belly dancers’ performances are stirring up a scandal, and the distasteful task of enforcing proper conduct on them has fallen to Dora as part of her initiation into the Fair’s prestigious Board of Lady Managers.
Dora’s sensibilities, however, are not so easily flustered by the dancers. She finds herself captivated by these exotic women, and by their enigmatic manager, Hossam Farouk, who makes his mistrust of her known–although his lingering glances hint at something else.
As Dora’s eyes are opened to the world beyond her own, she finds the courage to break free of her life of social expectations and self-imposed bondage, and discovers the truth about the desire and passion in her own heart.
THE GIRL ON THE MIDWAY STAGE is a lush historical novel rich with authentic period detail, discovery, and romance that will sweep you up in Dora’s struggle to understand herself, her quickly changing world, and her own unique journey to happiness.
*** This title was formerly published as THE BELLY DANCER ***
BONUS MATERIAL: The novel includes a preview chapter of THE GIRL ON THE VAUDEVILLE STAGE, Book 2 in The Dancer Chronicles and formerly published as Dancing at The Chance.
WANT MORE BONUS MATERIAL? CHECK OUT THE FOLLOWING:
- Authentic photographs from the 1893 Chicago Worl’d Fair
- A map of the 1893 Chicago World’s Fair
- Video footage of dancers from the turn-of-the-last-century
- The historical note for THE GIRL ON THE MIDWAY STAGE, including additional historical resources
- Links to Pinterest inspiration board
- #Novel #Inspiration: The Legend of Little Egypt
- #Novel #Inspiration: New Orleans
- #Novel #Inspiration: Cajun Creole Cuisine
- #Novel #Inspiration: Victorian Heroines
- #Novel #Inspiration: 1893 Chicago World’s Fair
- #Novel #Inspiration: The Board of Lady Managers, and Other Properly Dressed Ladies of the Victorian Age
- #Novel #Inspiration: The Egyptian Belly Dancers of the 1893 Chicago World’s Fair